1. Over 600lbs of organic yard and kitchen materials can be diverted
per home through backyard composting.
2. Source reduction through backyard composting saves valuable landfill
3. Backyard composting reduces organic materials going to landfills,
thereby reducing the production of methane gas as harmful greenhouse
4. Residents save their municipalities valuable tax dollars by composting
at home. Backyard composting is much cheaper than municipal collection
5. Compost is great soil amendment for lawns, gardens, potting soils
6. Composting can reduce home owner trash at the curb by 25% to 40%
7. Compost can also save you money by: providing free soil amendment,
and by retaining soil moisture, you will save on your water bills.
8. Residents can make a difference. Leaves, grass and kitchen scraps
represent 30% of the material going to landfills.