City of KnoxvilleContact Us
I Want To...
Download Permits & Forms »
Find City Court Info »
Find Next Brush Pickup Date »
Report Traffic Issue »
Retrieve Impounded Vehicle »
Like the City on Facebook® »
Follow the City on Twitter »
View Press Releases »
Click Here for Printer Friendly Version
Dial 311 for City Services
Public Service Department
Neighborhood Codes Enforcement
Robert Moyers
Neighborhood Codes Enforcement Manager
Room 470, City County Building

Neighborhood Codes Enforcement investigates codes violations regarding dilapidated buildings, dirty or overgrown lots, illegal dumping and abandoned vehicles. Violations that are not corrected can be referred to Municipal Court or the Better Building Board.

For more information on these areas and the services they provide, please see our Frequently Asked Questions below or choose from the links provided at the bottom of the page. If you have a request for one of the services that we provide, please contact 3-1-1.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Make a Complaint?
You can call 3-1-1 or 865-215-4311 or write or visit Neighborhood Codes Enforcement to register a complaint.

What Constitutes a "Dirty or Overgrown Lot?"
Trash and debris which have accumulated on a piece of property, overgrown vines, underbrush or grass over 12 inches high are all violations of city codes.

How Long Do I Have to Correct a Lot Problem? What If I Miss the Deadline?
The owner has 10 days after receipt of a letter outlining the code violationsto correct them. If violations are not corrected, a city crew will correct the violations by cleaning or mowing the lot and bill the owner. The owner can be cited to Municipal Court, where substantial fines and penalties can be imposed.

How Long Do I Have to Correct a Building Problem? What If I Miss the Deadline?
The owner has 30, 60 or 120 days after receipt of a certified letter outlining code violations to bring the structure up to code, depending on the seriousness of the violations. If the owner does not take care of the problem in that time, the case goes before the Better Building Board, which could order demolition, acquisition or mandatory repair of the structure. Any costs incurred by the city in correcting these violations are charged to the property owner. If not paid, the costs become a lien against the property. Municipal Court fines and penalties are also possible for Housing and Building Code violations.

What Is the Better Building Board?
A key part of the city's effort to achieve cleaner and safer neighborhoods is the Better Building Board. This board starts action to force property owners to make repairs or to demolish unfit structures through the city's police powers over dangerous structures.

A lien can be placed against the property to recover expenses incurred as a part of compelling the property owner to comply with city codes requirements.

The Better Building Board meets the last Thursday of each month, at 3:30 p.m., usually in the Small Assembly Room of the City County Building.

What Constitutes an "Abandoned Vehicle?"
  • Illegally parked on public property for more than 48 hours
  • Over 4 years old and left unattended on public property for more than 30 days.
  • On private property without consent of the owner for more than 48 hours.

    What Constitutes an Inoperable Vehicle?
  • Over 4 years old and has no engine or is otherwise totally inoperable.
  • Without an engine in running condition, a transmission, four tires or a battery or for any reason is not operable.

    How Long Do I have to Move an Inoperable Vehicle?
    After an inspector has checked to see if the vehicle is inoperable and has placed a sticker on it, the owner has seven days to make it operable if it is on private property, or 24 hours, if it is on public property. If the vehicle is not made operable or towed away within the deadlines set on the sticker, the vehicle will be transported to an impoundment lot and the owner will be billed accordingly. Municipal Court fines and penalties may also be imposed. In a cooperative agreement with the National Kidney Foundation, the Neighborhood Codes Enforcement will assist any vehicle owner with a clear title in donating any unwanted vehicles to the foundation, allowing them to be towed off at no charge and providing a tax deduction to the owner.
  • LINKS:

    Abandoned Vehicles
    Dilapidated Buildings
    Dirty or Overgrown Lots
    Illegal Dumping



    Add to Favorites
    Adobe PDF Reader
    Email Page
    Font Smaller
    Font Normal
    Font Larger
    Get Directions
    Make Home Page
    Print Page
    RSS/XML Feed
    Search A to Z List
    Site Map
    Traduzca en Español
    Translate to More Languages
    Dial 3-1-1 For City Services
    311. One Number. One Call.
    Click Here for Brush Pickup Schedule
    City Departments
    Communications »
    Community Development »
    Community Relations »
    Engineering »
    Finance Dept. »
    Fire Dept. »
    Law Dept. »
    Mayor's Office »
    Parks & Recreation »
    Plans Review/Inspections »
    Police Dept. »
    Policy & Redevelopment »
    Public Service »
    Special Events »
    Sustainability »
    List of All Depts. »
    Phone List »