City of KnoxvilleContact Us
I Want To...
Download Permits & Forms »
Find City Court Info »
Find Next Brush Pickup Date »
Report Traffic Issue »
Retrieve Impounded Vehicle »
Like the City on Facebook® »
Follow the City on Twitter »
View Press Releases »
Click Here for Printer Friendly Version
New Commercial & Commercial Addition Changes
Staring May 1, 2013, our office is now requiring for each New Commercial and Commercial Addition projects submitted for review, a complete set of building plans (including the site plan) on a separate disc. The disc will be provided to the Knoxville Fire Dept. and should be labeled with the Project Title, Address and Date.

New Residential Plans Review Process
We will be implementing a new Residential Plans Review process starting May 1, 2013. This new process will require a full set of drawings for all New Residential One & Two Family Dwellings. More information will be forthcoming.
Plans Review & Inspections Division
Building Permits & Inspections
Contractor License Fees [PDF]
Current Codes in Effect
Fast Fact Sheets
Fee Schedule [PDF]
Frequently Asked Questions
Interactive Voice Response Info [PDF]
International Codes Online
Plans Review & Inspections Boards
Plans Review and Permits Inquiry
Sign Permits and Inspections
State Licensing Board
Trust Account
Zoning Complaints and Inspections
Zoning Ordinance
Frequently Asked Questions:

Where are you located?

The City of Knoxville Plans Review and Inspection Division is located on the fifth floor of the City/County Building Suite 505. The main entrance to the City/County Building is located at 400 Main Street.

Where can I park?

Parking is no longer available in the City/County Building to the public. Public parking lots are located near the City/County Building on Main Street and other streets surrounding the building.

When is a permit required?

Permits are required for any work over $100.00.

When must plans be submitted for review?

Plans must be submitted for all commercial projects and for new/addition residential.

What is the status of my plans review?

You can obtain the status of a plans review by calling the Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) or Plans Review and Permits Inquiry 24 hours a day at 865-215-4830. Simply locate your project number on your Plans Review Application, in the upper left corner, and follow the prompts given by the IVR. You may also call the Plans Review and Inspections Division during office hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at 865-215-2999. To check your status online go to https://secure.cityofknoxville.org/cityservices and click on "Plans Review and Permit Inquiry."

What is my permit number?

Permit numbers can be found on the permit print out in the upper left corner. When using your permit number with the Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) or Plans Review and Permits Inquiry, you only use the numeric portion of your permit number.

Can an Owner be issued a Commercial Building Permit?

State of Tennessee License Contractors are required for commercial building permits. An owner can be issued a permit without a licensed contractor if the valuation of the work being done is under $25,000 and the plans have been approved by the City of Knoxville Plans Review and Inspections Division. No sub-work permits (Electrical, Plumbing, Gas/Mechanical) will be issued to an owner for commercial work.

Can a Residential Homeowner be issued a Building Permit?

Homeowners can be issued building permits for their residential property if the plans have been approved by the City of Knoxville Plans Review and Inspections Division. Homeowners can also be issued a sub-work permit(electrical, plumbing, gas/mechanical) provided the homeowner provides proof that they live in the home and sign an owner's affidavit stating the owner is actually doing the work.

Who can be issued an Electrical, Plumbing, or Gas/Mechanical permit?

Only sub-contractors with a current City of Knoxville License and bonded in his/her respected trade can be issued sub-work permits. A homeowner who lives in the home and signs an owner affidavit stating they will be doing the work can also be issued a sub-work permit.

Add to Favorites
Adobe PDF Reader
Email Page
Font Smaller
Font Normal
Font Larger
Get Directions
Make Home Page
Print Page
Search A to Z List
Site Map
Traduzca en Español
Translate to More Languages
Dial 3-1-1 For City Services
311. One Number. One Call.
Click Here for Brush Pickup Schedule
City Departments
Communications »
Community Development »
Community Relations »
Engineering »
Finance Dept. »
Fire Dept. »
Law Dept. »
Mayor's Office »
Parks & Recreation »
Plans Review/Inspections »
Police Dept. »
Policy & Redevelopment »
Public Service »
Special Events »
Sustainability »
List of All Depts. »
Phone List »