Dr. Walter Hardy Park History
This park, named for Dr. Walter Hardy, honors all African-American doctors of Knoxville who have passed away. Doctor’s row is a line of lighted maple trees and raised ground plaques that honor black physicians who served the Knox County community from 1869-1989. Other honored are doctors G.W. Harmon and J.B. Young, the first black physicians in Knoxville. They began practicing in 1869.