Charter Doyle Greenway and Park History
Dedicated in 1985, the land that is used for Charter Doyle Park and Greenway was a gift to the community from longtime Knox County Schools Superintendent Mildred Doyle from 1946-1976. She gave the land in honor of her father, Charter Doyle, and stipulated that it become a park and that the natural environment be maintained. Charter E. Doyle was a politician and member of the Knox County Quarterly Court for 27 years. The land had been part of the Doyle family since 1800, originally belonging to Mildred’s ancestor, Irish native John Doyle, a revolutionary War mercenary who fought in several battles and was wounded. He received a veteran’s land grant in 1800. Mildred’s great-great-grandfather built his home there. Her father (Charter) grew up in that house and on the property. The Nature Trail, built in 1986, is named for Mildred Doyle. The trail was developed by the Marines and members of the Knox County Council of Garden Clubs. The Doyle family has always been involved in sports. Mildred is a member of the Tennessee and Knoxville Sports Halls of Fame. She played basketball four years at Maryville College and 22 years in recreation leagues. She also played and managed softball.