City of KnoxvilleContact Us
I Want To...
Download Permits & Forms »
Find City Court Info »
Find Next Brush Pickup Date »
Report Traffic Issue »
Retrieve Impounded Vehicle »
Like the City on Facebook® »
Follow the City on Twitter »
View Press Releases »
Click Here for Printer Friendly Version
Fire Prevention Bureau
Activities Requiring Fire Code Inspections
Permit Applications
Plans Reviews
Current Fire Code & Guidelines
Key Access (Knox Box)
Fire Alarm Systems
Freedom of Information Act Requests
Fire Prevention and Fire Safety
Smoke Alarm Program
Fire Hazard Complaints
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Info

Permit Applications

All permit applications and required documentation, with the exception of burn permits and building permits, should be submitted to the Fire Prevention Bureau for review and approval. Please review the guidelines associated with each of the following permits before submitting an application. If you have questions, please contact our office at 865-215-2283.

Flammable and Combustible Aboveground Storage Tank Permit

All aboveground storage tanks (A.S.T.) within the city limits of Knoxville with capacity over 60 gallons containing Class I, II, and III liquids shall be permitted, whether portable or stationary, temporary or permanent, and new or existing, and shall comply with all adopted standards, annual inspection, and zoning requirements set forth by city ordinance and the Fire Prevention Bureau. To apply for a new aboveground storage tank permit, or to remove an existing tank, click here for the aboveground storage tank permit application or use one of the following links for more information.

Aboveground Storage Tank Permit Application [PDF]
Installation Requirements and Diagrams [PDF]
Container Guidelines [PDF]
Permit Information and Fee Schedule [PDF]
KGIS Maps and Zoning Information

For questions related to aboveground storage tanks, contact Captain Kevin Bost at 865-215-2283.

Flammable and Combustible Underground Storage Tank Permit

Underground storage tank (U.S.T.) permits are issued by the Fire Prevention Bureau. To apply for the installation or removal of an U.S.T. permit, submit a site plan, permit application, and the required fee. For questions related to underground storage tanks, contact Captain Kevin Bost at 865-215-2283.

Underground Storage Tank Permit [PDF]

Flammable and Combustible Liquefied Petroleum Gas Tank Permit

Liquefied petroleum gas tank (LP) permits are issued by the Fire Prevention Bureau. To obtain a LP permit, submit a diagram of the installation site, permit application, and required fee. Click here for the permit application. Click here for examples of installation site diagrams. For questions related to liquefied petroleum gas tanks, contact Captain Kevin Bost at 865-215-2283 or kbost@cityofknoxville.org.

LP Tank Permit Application [PDF]
LP Installation Site Diagrams [PDF]

Blasting Permit

Blasting permits issued by the Fire Prevention Bureau are valid for thirty days. To obtain a blasting permit, click here to review the guidelines and complete the blasting permit application. For questions related to blasting permits, contact Captain John Rodgers at 865-215-2283 or jrodgers@cityofknoxville.org .

Blasting Permit Application [PDF]

Pyrotechnic Permit Application

All indoor and outdoor pyrotechnic displays conducted within the Knoxville city limits must be permitted. Click here to apply for a pyrotechnic permit. Note: all pyrotechnic companies and technicians must be licensed through the State of Tennessee. Click here for information on the state's regulations regarding pyrotechnics.

Pyrotechnic Permit Application [PDF]
Tennessee State Fireworks License/Permit/Regulations

The Fire Marshal will assign a fire inspector to monitor ALL pyrotechnics within the city limits. The monitoring fee is $30.00 per hour, with a 4 hour minimum. Events occurring outside normal business hours are subject to overtime payment by the company responsible for the display. For questions related to pyrotechnic displays, contact Captain Michael Gillespie at 865-215-2283 or mgillespie@cityofknoxville.org.

Building Permit Application

The Fire Prevention Bureau conducts plans reviews as part of the building permit application. Contact the City of Knoxville Building Permit Department for a building permit at 865-215-2999 or visit www.cityofknoxville.org/plansreview/building.asp.

Burn Permit Application

Burning of refuse or garbage is not permitted on any street within the City, or on public or private property within the City limits, except as permitted by the fire prevention code and by the local and state air pollution control regulations. Contact the Knox County Air Quality Management for a burn permit at 865-215-5900 or visit www.knoxcounty.org/airquality.
Add to Favorites
Adobe PDF Reader
Email Page
Font Smaller
Font Normal
Font Larger
Get Directions
Make Home Page
Print Page
Search A to Z List
Site Map
Traduzca en Español
Translate to More Languages
Dial 3-1-1 For City Services
311. One Number. One Call.
Click Here for Brush Pickup Schedule
City Departments
Communications »
Community Development »
Community Relations »
Engineering »
Finance Dept. »
Fire Dept. »
Law Dept. »
Mayor's Office »
Parks & Recreation »
Plans Review/Inspections »
Police Dept. »
Policy & Redevelopment »
Public Service »
Special Events »
Sustainability »
List of All Depts. »
Phone List »