City of KnoxvilleContact Us
I Want To...
Apply for Business License »
Apply for Beer Permit »
View Bid Opportunities »
Recycle Computers »
Local Hazard Mitigation Plan Gets Annual Update »
KAT Proposes Demonstration Route for Outdoor Activities »
Multiple Drug and Felony Arrests Earns Unit Special Recognition »
Work Begins on Cross Park Drive Improvements »
New Tax Revenue to Allow Completion of Several Projects »
Downtown Circulation and Mobility Plan »
Mobile Food Vendor Program »
Civil Rights Act Anniversary »
Cumberland Connection Blog »
Engineering Department Project Blog »
Like the City on Facebook® »
Follow the City on Twitter »
View Press Releases »
Knoxville Events
Visit Knoxville
Event Calendar »
Special Events Dept.
Calendar [PDF] »
Market Square
Events [PDF] »
Click Here for Printer Friendly Version
Add Business Partner Affidavit [PDF]
Amusement Tax Report [PDF]
Business Tax License Application [PDF]
Garage Sale Permit [PDF]
Going Out of Business Sale Permit [PDF]
Hotel Occupancy Privilege Tax Form [PDF]
Out of State Contractor Forms [PDF]
Vendor License Permit [PDF]
Wholesale Alcohol Beverage Dealers Monthly Report [PDF]
Licenses, Permits, Inspections and Taxes

Business License/Tax Office

State law requires that all businesses (with exceptions for professions, manufacturers, and certain disabled persons) inside the city of Knoxville have both city and county business licenses.

A simple form is completed on each business and a fee for the issue of the initial business license is levied.

Business taxes, unlike property taxes, are not based on an assessment performed by a government agency. Business taxes are assessed against the gross receipts during a certain time period.

Each year, gross receipts reporting forms are sent to all licensed businesses. The business owner must file gross receipts figures, take certain deductions allowed and figure the tax owed.

The following are examples of businesses in each class of business license. This list is not exhaustive:

Class I (Jan. 1- Dec. 31)
Service stations (gasoline), grocery stores, food wholesalers, hardware stores, building materials suppliers, feed stores, food brokers, beer package stores, beer wholesalers, wholesale gasoline and diesel fuel suppliers.

Class II (April 1- March 31)
Advertising specialty dealers, automobile and motorcycle dealers, boat and camper dealers, department stores, florists and plant stores, home furnishing stores, appliance and electronic stores, restaurants, liquor stores, liquor wholesalers, and all businesses not enumerated elsewhere.

Class III (July 1- June 30)
Antique dealers, delicatessens, jewelry stores, card shops and book stores, pawn shops, beauty and barber shops, schools, architectural and artist supply stores, stores dealing in hearing aids, razors, luggage, optical and ophthalmological supplies, typewriters, sporting goods and business services.

Class IV (Oct. 1-Sept. 30)
General contractors, subcontractors and produce dealers.

Business licenses expire on the due dates listed, but a 60-day grace period is allowed for reporting gross receipts, paying applicable taxes and purchasing a new license. Penalty and interest accrue as of the delinquent date.

Class Expires Delinquent
I Dec. 31 March 1
II March 31 June 1
III June 30 Sept. 1
IV Sept. 30 Dec. 1

Payments can be made by cash, personal check or money order.

The downtown Business Tax Office is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and is located in room 450 of the City County Building, 400 Main Street, in downtown Knoxville. Download our Business Tax License Application [PDF].

Financial information supplied to the city is confidential according to state law. The city cannot give this information to anyone other than the business owner or his/her authorized agent unless the records are under subpoena by a court.

Common Errors to Avoid

Paying city and county taxes together. The taxes are handled by two different agencies and payments should be sent to the proper office.

Not signing your tax return and your check. Include your taxpayer ID number on your check and sign check and tax form. Errors in calculations. The figures are checked by the Tax Office and a license will not be issued if payment is incorrect.

Not calling the Business Tax Office if you need help. A phone call can clear up questions and insure that your report will be processed in a timely manner.

Dogs on Patios

The City now allows restaurants with outside dining areas, such as patios, to provide for dog owners to bring their dogs with them to the outdoor area.

Dogs cannot be taken through the inside area of the restaurant, but must be taken directly to the outside dining area. Restaurants must get a permit from the City to allow dogs and must post rules governing dogs in their place of business.

The special permit, which has a $20 application fee and does not have to be renewed, pertains only to pet dogs, not to service animals. Additional information and the application form are available here.

The form can be submitted in person at the City of Knoxville, Department of Finance and Accountability, Business Tax Section, Room 450 of the City County Building, or by mail to the City Business Tax Section, P. O. Box 1028, Knoxville 37901.

Add to Favorites
Adobe PDF Reader
Email Page
Font Smaller
Font Normal
Font Larger
Get Directions
Make Home Page
Print Page
Search A to Z List
Site Map
Traduzca en Español
Translate to More Languages
Dial 3-1-1 For City Services
311. One Number. One Call.
Click Here for Brush Pickup Schedule
City Government
Mayor's Office »
City Council »
City Departments »
Boards & Commissions »
Public Meetings »