CONTACT FOR MORE INFORMATION
PO Box 3845
Knoxville, TN 37917
Date: The 3rd Monday of Every Month
Time: 7:00 PM
Where: Central United Methodist Church
The purpose of the Historic Fourth and Gill Neighborhood Organization is to build and sustain a vital urban community by protecting and preserving the historic architecture of the area, and by promoting a strong sense of community.
About Our Neighborhood
Historic Fourth & Gill is an excellent example of the neighborhoods that flourished in Knoxville during the last quarter of the 19th Century (see map). This was the period of the city's greatest economic boom, which was fueled by manufacturing and the railroads.
The railroads also helped Knoxville become one of the leading wholesale centers in the South.
These economic successes were based primarily on the notions of unrestrained capitalism and urban growth.
Known as New South Urbanization, this ideology encouraged such things as urban transit, better public facilities, and the concept of suburbia.
The City of North Knoxville, which historically contained the Fourth and Gill neighborhood, thrived under these new urban ideals. The Fourth and Gill area evolved into a tree lined streetcar suburb, made up of a series of separate subdivisions. These subdivisions were designed in a grid pattern with either narrow lots for greater density, or larger tracts more befitting the desires of the city's middle and upper classes. As the subdivision streets met each other, sometimes at odd angles, they formed an almost medieval street pattern. Although the size of the houses was fairly consistent within each area, the lot shapes often were not.
Its unique architecture and distinctive urban design are significant in understanding Knoxville's historical and architectural evolution. The architectural styles present in the Fourth and Gill Historic Overlay District are a good representation of the residential architecture popular in America between the 1880's and the 1940's. The southern portion of the district was primarily developed in the late 19th Century and the north section in the 20th Century. The district is irregularly shaped, covering approximately 72 acres. The area included in the Fourth and Gill Historic Overlay District includes buildings centered on the 700 block of Morgan Street, Deery Street, Luttrell Street to three parcels south of the old Brownlow Elementary School, Eleanor Street (beginning at East Fourth Avenue), and the cross streets of Third Avenue, Lovenia Avenue, Gill Avenue, Caswell Avenue, Haynes Place, Wells Avenue and Camp Avenue. There is also a cluster of seven buildings north of Gill Avenue on North Fourth Avenue.