|KAT Proposed Route Changes for June 2013
February 12, 2013 -
Knoxville Area Transit (KAT) is taking advantage of increased federal funding by proposing numerous route changes to better serve their passengers. The public is encouraged to
review the proposal and make comments.
Comments can be made by:
1. Emailing KAT under "Contact Us" on the website, www.katbus.com.
2. Calling KAT at 865-637-3000
3. Attending an Open House at Knoxville Station (in the Training room just off the main lobby area) at one of the following
times: Thursday, February 7th, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.; Tuesday, February 12 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.; Thursday, February 21 from
7 a.m. to noon.
4. Attending the public hearing on Thursday, February 28 at 3:00 p.m. in the City County Building Main Assembly Room.
5. Writing to KAT K2 Plan, 301 Church Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37915.
The KTA (Knoxville Transportation Authority) will vote on the plan after the public hearing on Thursday, February 28,
2013. If approved, the plan will take effect on Monday, June 3, 2013.
Comments must be made before, or at, the public hearing on February 28.
Following is a brief description of the changes for each route. Click on the Route Name and Number for a pdf of specific information for that route.
Route 11: Kingston Pike - 15-minute service on weekdays during peak hours (6 a.m. - 9 a.m.; 4 p.m - 6 p.m.). 30 minute service on weekdays (nonpeak hours) and Saturdays until 10:15 p.m.
Route 16: Cedar Bluff Connector - Service area expansion to reach areas currently served by Route 18 (proposed for elimination).
Route 17: Sutherland - 30-minute weekday service until 6 p.m.; new departure times from Knoxville Station at top and bottom of the hour; better transfers at Mohican to Rt. 11: Kingston Pike.
Route 18: West Shopping Connector (no additional pdf) - Proposed for elimination: some service areas would instead be served by Rt. 16: Cedar Bluff Connector
Route 20: Central Avenue - Weekday service every 30 minutes until 6 p.m.; new departure times from Knoxville Station at :15 and :45 minutes after the hour. Saturday departure times adjusted to :15 after the hour.
Route 21: Lincoln Park - Additional trip on weekdays at 6:15 p.m. (current last trip from Knoxville Station is 5:15 p.m.)
Route 22: Broadway - 15-minute service on weekdays during peak hours (6 a.m. - 9 a.m.; 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.). 30-minute service weekdays from 6 p.m. until 10:15 p.m.; 7 p.m. weekday bus moved to 7:15 p.m. to allow for transfers; 6 p.m. Saturday bus also moved to 6:15 p.m. to allow for transfers.
Route 31: Magnolia Avenue - 15-minute service on weekdays during peak hours (6 a.m. - 9 a.m.; 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.). 30-minute service weekdays from 6 p.m. until 10:15 p.m.; 30-minute service on Saturdays until 10:15 p.m.
Route 32: Dandridge - 30-minute weekday service until 6 p.m.; New departure times from Knoxville Station to top and bottom of the hour on weekdays, bottom of the hour on Saturdays.
Route 40: South Knoxville - Route redesigned to connect to Rt. 41: Chapman Highway near Young High Pike. Route time shortened to one hour, with remaining service area covered by new Route 45: Vestal (see below). Departures from Knoxville Station at the top of each hour on weekdays and Saturdays.
Route 41: Chapman Highway - 30-minute weekday service until 10:15 p.m.; new inbound and outbound layovers near Young High Pike to allow for transfers with Rt. 40: South Knoxville and new Rt. 45: Vestal.
Route 42: UT/Fort Sanders Hospitals - Route time changed to one hour to accommodate increased traffic congestion; departures at :15 after each hour, weekdays and Saturdays.
Route 45: Vestal NEW ROUTE - New bus route would serve Vestal neighborhood, Flenniken Apartments and Montgomery Village, providing direct connections to inbound and outbound Rt. 41: Chapman Hwy near Young High Pike. Route would operate hourly on weekdays from 6:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.
Route 50 (UT Services) (no additional pdf) - Proposed elimination of all UT routes (The T): East-West, North-South, Late Nite, Neyland Express, Link and Access.
Route 90: Crosstown - Earlier weekday morning trip from West Town Mall (beginning at 6 a.m.); later evening trip westbound, leaving Knoxville Center Mall at 7:30 p.m.
ROUTES WITH NO CHANGES PROPOSED:
|Route 10: Sequoyah
||Route 24: Inskip
||Route 34: Burlington
|Route 12: Western Ave.
||Route 30: Parkridge
||Route 43: University Heights Apts
|Route 13: Beaumont
||Route 33: MLK, Jr. Ave
||Route 44: Gateway at Knoxville Apts
|Route 23: Millertown
1. The elimination of the UT Semester Pass, currently set at $50 for 140 days and available to UT faculty, staff and students with proper ID.
2. A new unlimited ride semester pass for students attending eligible institutions of higher learning that sign an agreement with KAT and provide students with photo ID cards with valid dates. The pass would be $130 for 130 days and available beginning August 2013. Schools are encouraged to subsidize a portion of the pass costs.
3. A new fare-media type: A 20-single ride pass for $25, with a complementary Senior, Medicare cardholder, Disabled & Student K-12 reduced fare 20-single ride pass for $12.50. A ride is deducted with each use and the pass is not date-sensitive, so it can be used on non-consecutive days. Transfers are not included in the fare price and would need to be purchased separately at the farebox if required.
PRESS RELEASE INDEX